The It’s Good Business program is about changing views of alcohol service and safety in the tourism/hospitality industry.
The consumption of alcohol has changed. Public attitudes have changed. Laws and regulations have changed. Employees and employers who serve alcohol need to understand their role in response to this new business environment.
- The public is focusing on reducing alcohol-related problems, particularly drinking and driving.
- Young people are more aware of alcohol-related problems and taking action to be more responsible (Safe Grads, Designated Driver Programs, etc).
- A more health and weight-conscious public is changing eating and drinking preferences.
- Establishments and servers are increasingly being held responsible for injuries related to intoxication.
- Profits are dropping due to a trend of reduced alcohol consumption.
- Laws and regulations have been amended in response to the changing environment.
- Costs are rising: taxes, overhead, insurance.